Sunday, January 8, 2017
Most people consider January to be the perfect time to detox and adopt that 'New Year, New You' mindset. After the overindulgence of Christmas and New Year, weight loss is on a lot of peoples minds, so we've put together this short weight loss guide for you in order to help you get you started on your journey.
Heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes are all issues that can be associated with being overweight. A report published by the NHS in 2016 stated that obesity is estimated to be the fourth largest risk factor contributing to deaths in the UK, which is why it is important to be on top of your weight and BMI* and reduce your risk if needs be. You can calculate your BMI here.
*BMI mean body mass index which is the measure of body fat based on height and weight
Here we have put together five tips to get you started:-
1) Get active. Being active doesn't mean you need to immediately begin dedicating hours and hours to exercise. Keep it achieveable and aim for two exercise sessions of 30 minutes each, per week. Try taking 1/2 hourly brisk walks to start with, instead of opting for heavy gym workouts straight away.
2) Make small, easy changes to your lifestyle. For example, take a walk to the shops instead of using the car or bus, and use the stairs when there is an option to take the lift.
3) Don't immediately overhaul your diet in favour of a New Year's fad diet. Simply think of eating healthily to lose weight. Make changes to your diet such as swapping white breads for wholegrain, eating lots of fruit and veg to get your 5 a day, and reducing your portion sizes.
4) When considering your diet, try eating oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, tuna and trout. Eat starchy foods at meal times, which will fill you up, including whole grain bread and cereals for breakfast, and potatoes, pasta and rice for lunch or dinner.
5) If you have a high BMI (body mass index) there are some weight loss medicines you could try. Find out about the Weight Loss service and product range we offer by clicking here.