NiQuitin Mini's are one of the many different methods used to help overcome the urge to smoke. It contains the drug nicotine which is the addictive substance found in cigarettes, which causes the addiction. The lozenge should not be chewed or swallowed, but left in the mouth and allowed to dissolve. The 1.5mg strength lozenges are for those who smoke less than 20 cigarettes a day.
For oral use only: Niquitin Mint Minis relive and / or prevent the craving for cigarettes and removes withdrawal symptoms from a lack of inhaled nicotine
Put one Niquitin Mint Mini in your mouth and allow to dissolve fully
This should take around 10 minutes.
Do not use more than 15 lozenges in one day.
Do not use NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg if
- you are allergic (hypersensitive) to nicotine or any of the other ingredients in this medicine (listed in section 6)
- you are a non-smoker or under the age of 12 years.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your healthcare professional before using NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg:
• If you have had a recent heart attack or stroke, or you suffer from severe heart rhythm problems, unstable or worsening angina (chest pain) or resting angina you should try to quit smoking without using any NRT products unless your doctor tells you to use them.
• If you have diabetes you should monitor your blood sugar levels more often than usual when you start using NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg. Your insulin or medicine requirements may change.
• If you have a history of epilepsy (fits).
• If you have ever had allergic reactions that involve swelling of the lips, face and throat (angioedema) or itchy skin rash (urticaria). Using NRT can sometimes trigger this type of reaction.
• If you have heart problems, you should consult your doctor before using NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg and NiQuitin patches together.
Do not interchange between NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg and nicotine gums during any attempt to quit smoking.
Get help and advice from a healthcare professional if you have:
• If you have heart or circulation problems including heart failure, stable angina, high blood pressure or occlusive peripheral artery disease
• Severe or moderate liver or severe kidney problems because you may be more likely to get side effects.
• Uncontrolled overactive thyroid gland or phaeochromocytoma (a tumour of the adrenal gland that can affect blood pressure) - your doctor will have told you this - because nicotine may make your symptoms worse.
• Stomach or duodenal ulcers or an inflamed oesophagus or gullet (the passage between the mouth and stomach) because swallowing nicotine can make your symptoms worse. It may also cause mouth ulcers. If your symptoms do get worse you should talk to your doctor. You might want to use a non-oral form of NRT instead, such as patches.
• If you have ever experienced seizures (fits).
• Any concerns about becoming dependent or think you have become dependent on this product.
Children and adolescents
This medicinal product must not be used by children under the age of 12 years. A normal dose for an adult smoker could seriously poison or even cause death to children. It is therefore essential to keep NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg out of the sight and reach of children at all times.
Other medicines and NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg
Please tell your healthcare professional if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Stopping smoking may alter the effect of other medicines you may be taking. If you have any questions or concerns about this, talk to a healthcare professional.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
Smoking during pregnancy has risks for the baby. These include poor growth before birth, premature birth or stillbirth. Stopping smoking is the best way to improve both your health and that of your baby. The earlier you stop smoking the better.
Ideally, if you are pregnant, you should stop smoking without using NRT. However, if you have tried and this has not worked, NRT may be recommended by a healthcare professional to help you stop smoking. This is because it is better for your developing baby than if you carry on smoking. The decision to use NRT should be made as early on as possible in your pregnancy. You should aim to use it for only 2-3 months. Remember, the most important thing is to stop smoking. Products such as lozenges may be preferable to nicotine patches. This is because with lozenges, you do not get the nicotine all the time. However, patches may be preferred if you have nausea or sickness.
Due to an absence of specific studies, use of NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg in combination with NiQuitin patches is not recommended during pregnancy unless a healthcare professional considers it necessary.
If you are breastfeeding, tobacco smoke causes breathing difficulties and other problems in babies and children. Ideally you should stop smoking without using NRT. However, if you have tried and this has not worked, NRT may be recommended by a healthcare professional. If you do use NRT to help you quit, the amount of nicotine your baby may get is small. It is much less harmful than breathing in second-hand smoke. It is best to use NRT products that are taken at certain times of the day (such as gum or lozenge, rather than patches). It is also better to breastfeed just before you take the product. This helps your baby to get the smallest amount of nicotine possible.
Due to an absence of specific studies, use of NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg in combination with NiQuitin patches is not recommended if you are breast feeding unless a healthcare professional considers it necessary.
Driving and using machines
There are no known effects of NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg on the ability to drive or use machines. However you should be aware that giving up smoking can cause behavioural changes that effect your ability to drive or use machines.
NiQuitin Minis 1.5 mg contains Sodium
This medicinal product contains less than 1 mmol sodium (23 mg) per lozenge, that is to say essentially sodium free.