Buy Nitrofurantoin 100mg Capsules online in the UK
How to order Nitrofurantoin capsules in the UK
- Complete our medical consultation. This allows our doctors to check that Nitrofurantoin is safe and appropriate for you.
- Add this preferred treatment to your basket before completing checkout.
- One of our UK-registered doctors will review your order and prescribe Nitrofurantoin if appropriate. Occasionally we need extra information and will contact you via our confidential message centre.
- Your order will be packaged and posted from our pharmacy via our tracked delivery service.
What is Nitrofurantoin?
Nitrofurantoin belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics; it works by killing bacteria that can cause infection. The active ingredient in Nitrofurantoin 100mg prolonged-release capsules is the antibiotic Nitrofurantoin.
Prolonged-release means that the capsules release this medicine over an extended period of time, in this means you take the medicine less often which can reduce the chance of side effects.
What is Nitrofurantoin used for?
This antibiotic is used to treat UTIs (urinary tract infections), also called cystitis, in women.
What is a UTI?
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection that affects your urinary tract, this is the tube that flows from the bladder to outside of the body. Medically, this tube is called the urethra.
Depending on how severe the infection is, it may clear up on its own, however, UTI’s are commonly treated with antibiotics such as Nitrofurantoin 100mg capsules.
You may experience the following symptoms if you have a UTI:
- More frequent urination (weeing)
- An urgent need to urinate
- Your urine looks cloudy in colour
- Needing to pee during the night
- You may see blood in your urine
- Pain in your lower stomach or back
- A painful burning sensation when peeing
- High or low temperatures which cause shivering
If you are unsure if you have a UTI, you can buy a urine infection test online from Oxford Online Pharmacy.
How do you get a UTI?
A UTI is caused when bacteria get into the urethra, this is the tube that your pee travels out of.
UTI’s are more common in women seeing as a woman’s urethra is much shorter than a man’s, making it easier for bacteria to enter.
There are many possible causes of bacteria reaching your urethra, these include:
- Kidney stones
- Not drinking enough fluid
- Urinary catheter
- Having sex
- A weakened immune system
- Not keeping the genital area clean
- Conditions that make it harder to empty the bladder such as an enlarged prostate
Can I take Nitrofurantoin capsules for Cystitis?
You should always refer to the Nitrofurantoin patient information leaflet before taking any medicine.
Do not take Nitrofurantoin capsules:
- If you have kidney disease
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients in Nitrofurantoin
- If you have a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
- If you are under 18
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding (you must speak to your GP)
- If you have a blood disorder
If you are unsure, always speak to a doctor before taking any new medicine.
How to get rid of Cystitis fast?
You can treat Cystitis fast with Nitrofurantoin 100mg capsules from Oxford Online Pharmacy. You can start this process by completing our online doctor consultation, which will be reviewed by our doctors and sent out as soon as the same day.
Please note: Call NHS111 for out-of-hours advice if you become ill or your symptoms worsen as these antibiotics will not be dispatched over the weekend if ordered after 3 pm on a Friday.
How to get antibiotics for a UTI without seeing a doctor?
This medicine requires a prescription, therefore, a doctor will need to issue this. At Oxford Online Pharmacy, you can complete an easy and free consultation online which will be assessed by one of our UK-registered doctors. This hassle-free process doesn’t require an appointment or a trip to the doctors. (This is especially beneficial if you are in pain with a UTI and don’t want to leave the house.)
Our fast next day delivery service means you can get your antibiotics delivered to your door as soon as the next day.
How to take Nitrofurantoin for Cystitis?
You should always follow your doctors’ instructions when taking this medicine.
To treat a UTI like cystitis, take ONE capsule twice daily for 3 days.
This medicine should be taken with food or a glass of milk.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Nitrofurantoin, you should take it as soon as you remember, however, if it’s almost time to take your next dose, we suggest skipping the missed dose and then take your next one as normal, then space out the remaining doses for that day.
You must never double up a dose if you have missed one.
How long does Nitrofurantoin take to work on a UTI?
These capsules should start to work in as little as 24 hours, normally a 3-day course of these antibiotics will completely treat your UTI.
If your side effects subside before your course has ended, it is important that you do not stop the course of treatment and continue for the full 3 days.
In the unlikely instance that your symptoms are still there after you finish the course of treatment, get in touch and our doctor will suggest next steps.
What are the side effects of Nitrofurantoin Mercury Pharma?
With most medicines, it is not uncommon to experience side effects from them, although not everybody will get them. Taking the medicine as directed by your doctor will help prevent the risk of experiencing them.
Possible side effects:
- Your urine may become coloured dark yellow or brown. This is normal so do not stop taking this medicine.
- If you notice any of the following side effects consult your doctor immediately:
- Taking Nitrofurantoin may cause problems in your lungs, like pneumonia-like symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, and shortness of breath, which could show up within a week.
- Nitrofurantoin can also affect your liver, causing jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), and reduce your blood cell count, making you feel weak, bruised, or more susceptible to infections.
- Some people may experience skin turning blue or purple due to low oxygen levels, a condition known as cyanosis.
- Watch out for signs like fever, flu-like symptoms, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, blood in stool, and weakness, as they could be signs of a condition called cutaneous vasculitis.
- If you notice fatigue, joint pain, abdominal discomfort, or swelling, it could be a sign of hepatitis. In rare cases, Nitrofurantoin might lead to liver failure, which can be fatal.
Other side effects:
Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
- Loss of consciousness (collapse)
- Damage to bone marrow causing deficiency of the red blood cells (Anaemia).
Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
- Feeling nauseous and having a headache
- Having loose stools
- Losing appetite, stomach pain, and vomiting
- Experiencing diarrhoea
- Feeling dizzy or drowsy
- Some patients may have affected blood cells, leading to bruising, delayed blood clotting, sore throat, fever, anaemia, and increased susceptibility to colds.
- Nerves outside the spinal cord may be impacted, causing changes in feeling and muscle use. This could result in severe and possibly permanent effects like headaches, extreme mood changes, confusion, weakness, and blurred vision.
- Some patients may develop various skin issues, such as flaking skin, red rashes, fever with a rapid heart rate, severe blistering rash, inflammation of salivary glands (causing facial pains), inflammation of the pancreas gland (causing severe abdominal pain), and joint pains.
- Experiencing short-term hair loss
- Experiencing raised pressure in the skull, leading to severe headaches
- Contracting urinary infections from germs that Nitrofurantoin is not effective against
- Experiencing inflammation of small blood vessel walls, resulting in skin lesions
- Developing liver inflammation due to the immune system attacking liver cells
- Experiencing inflammation of kidney tissue surrounding tubules, leading to renal impairment
How long do Nitrofurantoin side effects last?
Side effects of Nitrofurantoin are normally mild and they should go away after you have finished your 3 day treatment.