Buy Canesten HC Cream Online in the UK
Canesten HC Cream contains the active ingredients Clotrimazole and Hydrocortisone Acetate in a 30g tube.
This medicines may be a suitable option if you have a fungal skin infection with additional symptoms of inflammation such as redness, itching or swelling.
With OxfordOnlinePharmacy it is easier than ever to get your Canesten HC prescription online: no waiting times, no hassle. We provide the support and service of your local pharmacy with the convenience of not having to leave your home.
What is Canesten HC?
Canesten HC Cream is a cream containing the active ingredients of clotrimazole and hydrocortisone acetate.
The active ingredients have two different jobs:
- Clotrimazole destroys the fungi and some bacteria that cause skin infections. It belongs to the group of medicines called imidazoles.
- Hydrocortisone acetate is a mild steroid which reduces inflammation including swelling, redness and itching.
What is Canesten HC used for?
Canesten HC Cream is used for the treatment of infection and irritation of the vulva or end of the penis (glans) caused by thrush. It is also used to treat nappy rash and fungal infection of the breast fold (intertrigo), as well as infections such as ringworm and athlete’s foot. The active substances in Canesten HC Cream are clotrimazole and hydrocortisone acetate. Clotrimazole belongs to a group of medicines called imidazoles, which destroy the fungi and some bacteria that cause skin infections. Hydrocortisone acetate is a mild steroid which reduces swelling, redness and itching associated with inflammation of the skin.
Canesten HC cream is only available with a valid prescription. If you don’t have a prescription, you can have an online consultation with our doctor.
How do you use Canesten HC?
Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to use Canesten HC cream, but you will usually apply a thin, even layer to the affected area twice per day. The cream should be rubbed in gently to prevent further inflammation.
Always use as instructed by your doctor. Please read the patient information leaflet carefully before beginning treatment.
Canesten HC is usually taken following these instructions:
- Before use, invert the cap over the end of the tube and press to pierce the seal.
- Infected feet, should be washed and dried thoroughly, especially between the toes, before application.
- A thin, even layer of Canesten HC Cream should be applied twice daily to the affected areas twice and rubbed in gently. As a guide, 1cm of cream per application should be enough.
- Do not cover the area being treated with a dressing or bandage.
- As with all products containing hydrocortisone, you should wash your hands immediately after applying the cream.
Your treatment should be for no longer than 7 days. The symptoms of skin infection, such as itching or soreness, should improve within a few days of treatment although other signs like redness and scaling may take longer to disappear. If the symptoms persist or you do not start to improve after 7 days, consult your doctor.
Canesten HC Cream is for external use only. If you accidentally ingest the cream, tell your healthcare professional immediately.
If you accidentally get cream in your eyes or mouth, wash immediately with water and contact your doctor.
If you forget to apply a dose of Canesten HC Cream: Apply as soon as you remember and then continue the rest of your treatment as usual. Do not use a double dose of Canesten HC cream to attempt to ‘make up’ for the missed dose.
Following these simple tips can help the treatment to work effectively:
- Try not to scratch the affected area. It will itch, but scratching will damage the skin surface and cause the infection to spread.
- Keep the affected skin areas clean.
- Ensure skin is thoroughly dried but avoid excessive rubbing.
- Do not share towels, wash cloths, bathmats, etc. with other people to prevent the spread of infection
- Always thoroughly wash your hands after treating the infection to prevent it from spreading.
If you have athlete’s foot:
- Remember to dry the skin carefully, especially between the toes.
- Wash your socks, stockings and tights thoroughly in hot water to remove any shed skin or fungal spores.
- Change your footwear daily if possible.
Like all medicines, Canesten HC Cream can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. As with all medicines, some people may be allergic to the cream. If you or your baby are allergic, a reaction will occur soon after you start using it. If you experience an allergic reaction, stop using the Cream and tell your doctor straight away or contact the Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital.
Signs of an allergic reaction may include:
- Swallowing or breathing problems
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- Weakness, feeling dizzy or faint
After you apply the cream you might experience:
- Itching, rash, blisters, burning, discomfort, swelling, irritation, redness or peeling of skin, blurred vision.
Treatment should be limited to 7 days unless advised otherwise by your doctor. If you apply the cream to a large area or under a dressing, or if you use the cream for more than 2 weeks, you may experience skin reactions such as:
- Broken veins
- Excess hair growth
- Stretch marks
- Thinning or whitening of skin
- Secondary infections
- An acne-like rash
If you experience any of the above effects or react badly to the cream in any other way not listed in this leaflet, tell your doctor immediately.
Do not use Canesten® HC Cream:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to clotrimazole, hydrocortisone or any of the other ingredients, including cetostearyl alcohol, of Canesten HC Cream. • On areas of broken skin
- On large areas of skin (more than 5–10% of body surface)
- For longer than 7 days
- To treat cold sores or acne
- On any untreated bacterial skin infection, such as syphilis or tuberculosis
- On vaccination reactions
- On shingles, chicken pox, rosacea or herpes.
If you are unsure about any of these restrictions, speak to your doctor.
- As with all steroids, long-term, continuous use on large areas of skin should be avoided
- Do not cover the area being treated with a dressing or bandage
- Wash your hands immediately after applying the cream.
- As with other creams, this product may reduce the effectiveness of rubber contraceptives, such as condoms or diaphragms. Consequently, if you are using this cream on the vulva or penis, you should use alternative precautions for at least five days after using this product.
- Contact your doctor if you experience blurred vision or other visual disturbances.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding:
If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying for a baby, tell your doctor or midwife before using Canesten HC Cream. If you have informed your doctor or midwife already, follow his/her instructions carefully. Important information about some of the ingredients: This product contains cetostearyl alcohol which may cause local skin irritation (e.g. rash, itching or redness).
You can read the Canesten HC cream patient information leaflet here.