Buy Saxenda Online in the UK
You can buy Saxenda Online from Oxford Online Pharmacy. The once-daily easy-to-use use injection to help you lose weight as part of a calorie-controlled diet and exercise program.
The medication will come with 30 pen needles and a free sharps box to dispose of used needles, you can order more pen needles for Saxenda treatment here.
What is Saxenda?
Saxenda is a once-daily injection that you administer yourself as a treatment to aid weight loss.
It contains the active ingredient Liraglutide, which is very similar to a natural hormone in your body called GLP-1. Saxenda works by suppressing your appetite which makes you feel less hungry, slowing down the emptying of food from your stomach and helping you feel fuller for longer between meals.
Saxenda weight loss injections must be used alongside a calorie-controlled diet and regular exercise.
See our top choice apps to support you with healthy weight loss here.
Is Saxenda right for me?
Saxenda should only be used by people who have tried and struggled to lose weight by diet and exercise alone.
Saxenda can only be prescribed to people who have a body mass index (BMI) over 30 or over 27 in patients with weight-associated health conditions such as high blood pressure (hypertension), pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol. (1)
You may not be able to use Saxenda if you;
- Are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, Saxenda may harm an unborn baby
- Have an allergy to any of the ingredients in Saxenda
- Are breastfeeding
- Or any member of your family have ever had medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC)
- Have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2)
- Are taking certain other medicines
- Have certain other medical conditions - especially liver problems, history gall bladder problems or gall-stones, inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) (2)
This is almost always in mind for your safety, in such a case we will explain clearly the situation and offer to follow on advice.
Does Saxenda work?
Yes, it does. A clinical study of 3731 people shows that 56% achieved significant weight loss at year 1 using Saxenda alongside a calorie-reduced diet, and approximately half of these patients maintained weight loss at 3 years. (3,4)
The same study shows that 3 out of 5 people using Saxenda achieved a significant weight loss of 5% or more and 1 out of 3 achieved a significant weight loss of more than 10%.(4–7)
In short, it is expected that you should lose at least 5% of your starting body weight within your first 12 weeks using Saxenda.
How does Saxenda work?
The active medicine in Saxenda, Liraglutide, is very similar to a natural hormone in your body called GLP-1.
Natural GLP-1 is released from the lower gut and travels to the brain when your stomach is full, telling it to “switch off” feelings of hunger.
When you are using Saxenda, the medicine tells your brain that it's not hungry even when your stomach is not full. This causes you to eat less and lose weight.
How much does Saxenda cost?
Saxenda comes in a 3ml pre-filled injection pen and costs from £50 per pen. You can purchase between one and five pens. When you first start using Saxenda, a single pen will last 17 days.
Find out how long your Saxenda pens last here.
How to Store Saxenda
Unopened pens should be stored in a fridge (2°C- 8°C) where they will last until the expiry date found on each pen.
Once you start using a pen, you can keep it at room temperature (below 30°C) or in the fridge if you prefer until it is finished.
You must always keep the cap on the pen when not in use, as light can damage the medicine within, and store your pen without a needle attached. Used needles should be disposed of in a sharps bin immediately after use.
Ordering Saxenda Online
When you order Saxenda online with Oxford Online Pharmacy we ask you to complete a short medical questionnaire. This is assessed by one of our in-house team of doctors and pharmacists and prescribed if appropriate. It is very important that all answers are accurate.
Our doctors will require you to provide your NHS surgery details and give permission for us to share the details final order if approved - this is best clinical practice so that your NHS records are kept up to date.
Your Saxenda order is then prepared by our qualified pharmacy team, boxed with fridge packs and dispatched to your chosen delivery address. Orders placed before 3 pm will be dispatched the same day.
In a small number of cases, we may require additional information or it may be that Saxenda is not appropriate for you to use. This will always be communicated to you clearly and with follow-up advice if necessary.
- Welcome to Saxenda
- Saxenda patient support leaflet
- Patient support pack digital journal
- Summary of product characteristics
When you start using Saxenda, you must slowly increase your daily dose by 0.6mg every 7 days. This is to allow your body to get used to the treatment and reduce the likelihood and severity of side effects.
On this increasing schedule, 1 pen will last 17 days, 2 pens 28 days, 3 pens 34 days, 4 pens 40 days and 5 pens will last for the first 46 days of treatment.
Occasionally there may be side effects that take a little longer to improve. If you move up to the next dose and find the side effects intolerable then you can reduce back down to the previous dose for a further week before trying again.
Your maintenance dose
Once you have reached 3.0mg daily you should remain on this dose.
At 3.0mg daily, 1 pen will last 6 days, 3 pens will last 18 days and 5 pens will last for 30 days of treatment.
Saxenda is an injectable treatment that you administer to yourself. Liraglutide must be injected because it would be destroyed by the stomach’s acids if it was taken as a tablet or capsule.
Saxenda is injected using a very small and fine needle just under the skin, this is called a subcutaneous injection.
We will supply you with the needles you’ll need and a yellow sharps bin. A detailed step-by-step guide to the injection technique is available in the Patient Information Leaflet and a support video made by Saxenda manufacturer Novo Nordisk can be found here. Our team at Oxford Online Pharmacy are also available by email or phone for support if you need us.
Feeling nervous about the idea of injecting yourself - read our friendly expert advice here.
Saxenda side effects can include;
Very common side effects (may affect more than 1 user in 10 users)
- Nausea and/or vomiting - this settles as your body adjusts to Saxenda
- Diarrhoea or constipation - this settles after your body adjusts to Saxenda
Read our expert tips for managing these common side effects here.
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 to 10 users)
- Low blood sugar - The warning signs of low blood sugar may come on suddenly and can include: cold sweat, cool pale skin, headache, fast heartbeat, feeling sick, feeling very hungry, changes in vision, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, being nervous, being anxious, confusion, difficulty concentrating and shaking (tremor).
- Problems affecting the stomach and intestines, such as indigestion (dyspepsia), inflammation in the lining of the stomach (gastritis), stomach discomfort, upper stomach pain, heartburn, feeling bloated, wind (flatulence), belching and dry mouth
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia). This usually occurs in the first 3 months of treatment
- Local reactions around the injection site, such as bruising, pain, irritation, itching and rash
- Feeling weak or tired
- Changed sense of taste
- Increase in pancreatic enzymes, such as lipase amylase
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
- Dehydration – is more likely to occur at the start of treatment and may be due to being sick, having diarrhoea or nausea causing you to drink & eat less
- Thyroid reactions such as goitres or nodules - swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck
- Pancreatitis - Inflammation of the Pancreas
- Allergic reactions such as skin rash
- Generally feeling unwell
- Faster pulse rate
- Delay in the emptying of the stomach
- Inflamed gallbladder
Rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
- Reduced kidney function
- Acute kidney failure - Signs may include reduction in urine volume, metallic taste in mouth & easily bruising
For complete details about all side effects always read the Patient Information Leaflet.
The information we provide to our customers is based on the information provided by the manufacturer of Saxenda, Novo Nordisk. This information is based on the latest evidence.