Valtrex (Valaciclovir) 500mg is a treatment for Cold Sores. It is a prescription only medication
Symptoms of this condition start with a tingling, itching or burning sensation around your mouth. Small fluid-filled sores then appear, usually on the edges of your lower lip
It works by killing or stopping the growth of viruses called herpes simplex and is effective for treating cold sores (In adults and adolescents over 12 years old)
Valtrex (Valaciclovir) is not usually recommended for use during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, or think you could be, or if you are planning to become pregnant, don’t take Valtrex (Valaciclovir) without checking with your doctor.
It should not be taken by people who are allergic to valaciclovir or aciclovir or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
ONE tablet to be taken TWICE a day for FIVE days
• The active substance is valaciclovir. Each tablet contains 500 mg of valaciclovir (as valaciclovir hydrochloride).
The other ingredients are:
Tablet core Microcrystalline cellulose Crospovidone Povidone Magnesium stearate Silica colloidal anhydrous
Film coat Hypromellose Titanium dioxide Macrogol 400 Polysorbate 80 (500 mg tablets only) Carnauba wax
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Conditions you need to look out for
• severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). These are rare in people taking Valaciclovir. Rapid development of symptoms including: • flushing, itchy skin rash
• swelling of the lips, face, neck and throat, causing difficulty in breathing (angiodema)
• fall in blood pressure leading to collapse.
If you have an allergic reaction, stop taking Valaciclovir and see a doctor straight away
Very Common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people):
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• feeling sick
• skin reaction after exposure to sunlight (photosensitivity).
• itching (pruritus)
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• feeling confused
• seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations)
• feeling very drowsy
• feeling agitated
Please read the patient information leaflet for more information on side effects