Valaciclovir 500mg is a treatment for Herpes. It is a prescription only medication
It works by killing or stopping the growth of viruses called herpes simplex and is effective for treating Herpes
Valaciclovir is not usually recommended for use during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, or think you could be, or if you are planning to become pregnant, don’t take Valaciclovir without checking with your doctor.
It should not be taken by people who are allergic to valaciclovir or aciclovir or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
Valtrex 500mg tablets for a Herpes outbreak
ONE to be taken TWICE a day for FIVE days treatment can continue for an additional FIVE days if new lesions occur during treatment.
Valtrex 500mg tablets for prevention of Herpes
ONE to be taken DAILY
Preventative treatment should be interrupted periodically at intervals of six to twelve months, in order to observe possible changes in the natural history of the disease.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Conditions you need to look out for
• severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). These are rare in people taking Valaciclovir. Rapid development of symptoms including: • flushing, itchy skin rash
• swelling of the lips, face, neck and throat, causing difficulty in breathing (angiodema)
• fall in blood pressure leading to collapse.
If you have an allergic reaction, stop taking Valaciclovir and see a doctor straight away
Very Common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people):
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• feeling sick
• skin reaction after exposure to sunlight (photosensitivity).
• itching (pruritus)
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• feeling confused
• seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations)
• feeling very drowsy
• feeling agitated
Please read the patient information leaflet for more information on side effects