Maloff Protect is a form of malaria prevention medication. Maloff Protect's active ingredients are Atovaquone and Proguanil 250mg/100mg
Once bitten by a mosquito carrying the parasite, it will enter the bloodstream and reproduce within the red blood cells. Maloff Protect will work to:
• Halt the production of substances needed for the parasite to reproduce
• Prevent the action of a compound found in the parasite
It will take up to 7 days for Maloff Protect to kill the malarial parasite after being bitten. However, this is only if the course of medication is completed and taken correctly. Otherwise, you will increase your risk of infection.
Until now, this combination of ingredients for malaria chemoprophylaxis was only available with a doctor's prescription. With Maloff Protect, you can get the same protection direct from your pharmacist
The 24 pack is ideal if you are travelling for 1-2 weeks. Before you travel, ensure you have enough tablets for the needed dose.
To check that Maloff protect is the appropriate antimalarial for the country or region you are visiting click here http://www.travelhealthpro.org.uk/countries
For advice on malaria protection click here https://www.maloffprotect.co.uk/ to visit the maloff protect website
You can find out more information about the specific anti-malarial tablets needed for your travel destination using the following websites: http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations.aspx and https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/disease/113/malaria or give us a call and speak to our expert pharmacy team.
Take ONE tablet daily starting 1-2 days prior to entering malaria endemic area, for the duration of your trip and for 7 days after your return ( to a malaria-free area)
Please note: the maximum duration of travel for which Maloff Protect can be supplied without prescription is 12 weeks (93 tablets). For longer durations of travel, seek advice from your doctor.
• Tablet must be swallowed not crushed
• Continue the medication as normal the next day if you forget to take a tablet. Do not take 2 tablets together
• If you happen to vomit within an hour of taking a tablet, take another straight away
If any of the below apply to you, Maloff Protect is not suitable and you should speak to a medical professional about other forms of malaria prevention:
• Children and adolescents under 18
• Adults weighing less than 40 kg (6st 4lbs)
• People allergic to any of the ingredients
• Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to become pregnant
• Patients diagnosed with renal or hepatic impairment
• Patients with a history of depression or seizures
• Patients with tuberculosis
• Patients taking any of the following medications:
Atovaquone 250mg Proguanil 100mg
Like most medicines, Maloff Protect can cause side effects. The most common side effects are:
• Nausea and vomiting
• Abdominal pain
If you experience any of the above, speak to your pharmacist or your GP.
Please be aware that severe reactions are rare. However, if you experience any of the following stop taking Maloff protect immediately and consult your doctor:
• Skin rashes
• Itching Sudden wheezing
• Difficulty breathing
• Swelling of the face
• Tightening of the chest/throat